The Ministry of Youth and Sport (MTS) launched the call for the nomination of Romanian youth delegates to the United Nations for mandate 2018 – 2019. The programme, called the Youth delegate to the United Nations, seeks direct involvement of young people in the development of international youth policies, but also the familiarity of young people in Romania with the theme of global development. The Timiş County Youth Foundation (FITT) supports this initiative, as we consider fundamentally the involvement of young people in decision-making processes at all levels, as well as in the development of youth policies in the context of the United Nations .
Who can run?
For this programme, young Romanian citizens who on the date of application are 18 to 25 years old can run. As a result of the selection process, two delegates, one of a masculine and a gender feminim, will be elected. Competition candidates must have been in Romania for the last 6 months (at least) before the application was submitted. Among the features that complete the candidate's profile are found:
- Relevant experience in the field of youth activities, preferably at least 3 years;
- Participated in national and international projects in the field of youth policies (conferences, forums, seminars, volunteer activities, etc.);
- Interest in developing knowledge related to international relations and the mechanisms of the United Nations;
- Proven skills of networking, negotiation, teamwork, and the ability to meet the tasks set in time;
- Advanced communication Skills in English (written, read, expression); Knowledge of other official foreign languages at the UN constitutes an advantage.
During the term of office, youth delegations to the United Nations cannot be deprived of the country for long periods (scholarships, traineeships, professional hiring).
What are the powers of the youth delegate to the United Nations?
As a youth delegate to the United Nations, you will ensure the representation of the interests of young Romanians at least in two official UN sessions (UN General Assembly-September-October 2018 and the Committee on Social Development-February 2019), where you will also support speeches, but you will also organize and participate in projects in accordance with national and international priorities for youth.
Selection of Candidates
The selection of the two youth delegates from Romania to the United Nations is in three stages:
- Submission of applications
Applicants shall submit the application dossier until 5 August 2018, at 23:59, by e-mail, at the address email@example.com.
Following the evaluation of the applications are selected 10 candidates, 5 female gender and 5 male gender, who will support a face-to-face interview with members of the selection committee, on August 21, 2018, at the headquarters of the Ministry of Youth and Sports in Bucharest, the street Vasile Count number 16, one hour and in a room that will be communicated later to selected candidates.
- Final debate
Following the interviews, are selected 4 candidates: 2 female gender and 2 male gender. They participate in a final debate, on 22 August 2018, at the headquarters of the Ministry of Youth and Sports in Bucharest, Vasile Street Count 16, one hour and one room to be communicated later to selected candidates, following which are Select the two youth delegates of Romania to the United Nations for session 2018 – 2019. The candidates selected for the interview and final debate are required to be present in the contest Hall at the headquarters of the Ministry of Youth and Sports in Bucharest, Vasile Street count number 16. Alternative forms of participation in the selection (Skype, video transmissions, etc.) are not permitted.
The application dossier shall include:
- Registration form available here;
- A CV of the candidate, drawn up in the Romanian language, in the Europass model;
- An essay of up to 1000 words in English (font: Times New Roman; size 12; spacing 1.5) with the theme:
In the first semester of the year 2019, our country will take over the rotating președintia of the Council of the European Union. As a result of a broad national consultation with civil society, Romania has set the following priorities in the field of youth:
- Enhancing the adaptability of young people to future labour market challenges
- Equal access to opportunities for young people
At the global level, two of the seventeen UN sustainable Development goals aim to reduce inequalities and create sustainable cities and communities. In the light of the synergies between the two plans mentioned, we invite you to develop a maximum of two-page essay in English, about how the Președintia of the European Union Council in the youth field can support concrete Specified objectives.
- A recent letter of recommendation (from the year 2018) from a hierarchical superior or academic teacher – signed, stamped (where required), scanned, and contain the contact details of the signatory for identification.
These documents will be sent in a single email – with the attached preference attachment – at firstname.lastname@example.org address, with the mention of youth delegate to the UN. All candidates will receive a confirmation email. After August 5, 2018 at 23.59 – Romania time, no candidacy submitted is considered valid. Non-completion of a component and/or failure to comply with the above conditions will result in the applicant being disqualified. Selection criteria:
- Active presence in the civic environment;
- International experiences;
- Good knowledge of the UN problem;
- Good knowledge and interest in youth issues;
- Clarity and fairness in expression;
- consistency of argumentation;
- Fluency in foreign language;
- Pragmatism in identifying problems and in the proposed solutions;
- Originality of the essay.
Selection procedure Calendar
- July 20 – August 5, 2018 – submitting applications to the email@example.com e-mail address. Last day of submission of applications – August 5, 2018, at 23.59 – Romania time
- 5 – 12 August 2018 – Evaluation of applications
- August 13, 2018, at 12.30 – Displaying results
- 13 – 14 August 2018 – Submission of appeals
- 17 August 2018 – Displaying the results of the appeals and final list of candidates admitted
- August 21 – 22, 2018 – Interview and final debate, designation of Youth delegates 2018 – 2019
The interview and debate will take place at the headquarters of the Ministry of Youth and Sports in Bucharest, Vasile Street count number 16. MTS does not cover the transport from/to Bucharest of candidates from other cities presenting to the selection. All the details required by the candidates regarding the time and room in which the selection process will take place will be announced in good time to candidates by phone or e-mail. Thus, FITT encourages young Romanians aged 18 to 25 to apply to represent Romania in the United Nations in the period 2018-2019! To find out more details about the youth Delegate program at the United Nations 2018-2019, we invite you to visit the Ministry of Youth and Sports website: mts.ro/noutati/lansarea-programului-delegat-de-tineret-la-natiunile-unite-2018-2019 .